We are really big fans of Deadpool, for both the comics and the movies. Ryan Reynolds is just perfect for this role. He got us worried at first with the Green Lantern but he knocked it out of the park with Deadpool.
Deadpool really reminds us not to take things too seriously. The dark humour shows that Marvel’s writers are capable to mix things up and this is probably their recipe for success.
But who will come out on top in Thanos vs Deadpool? In this fight, there are no rules except that they can’t call in any help. Do you think that Deadpool would have a chance against the Mad Titan? Now let us find out, shall we?
Fun Fact: Did you know that Thanos actually cursed Deadpool to become Immortal? You’re welcome!
Deadpool was first seen in the February 1991 issue of The New Mutants. He was created by writer Fabian Nicieza, and artist Rob Liefeld. He was originally a supervillain who evolved into more of an antihero. Deadpool is a mercenary by trade. In the Marvel Universe, he was given the nickname “Merc With A Mouth” due to his propensity to making jokes and breaking the fourth wall.
He hails from Canada, where he used to be a government operative in the Weapon X program that was designed to enhance superhumans. Standing at 6ft 2in and weighing 210 pounds, he got his name from the “deadpool” betting system in which he was put into to see how long he could live. He never died in those experiments, but always wanted to feel the taste of death, because of all the atrocities he had suffered in his life before and after his mutation.
Deadpool: Powers & Abilities
- Accelerated Healing: He has survived incineration and being decapitated, on more than one occasion. He has different levels of acceleration on his healing, depending on the severity as well as the state of his mental health. It’s most accelerated when he is in a good mood and his vigilance.
- Immortality: Deadpool is functionally immortal, he has died a few times but always came back. He has survived many things that would kill a normal person, or mutant, many times to no avail. He has tried to end his own life multiple times with the same result.
- Neuron Regeneration: Deadpool has a very fast regeneration of neurons in his brain, which makes him almost invincible to head injuries, telepathic, and psychic powers used against him.
- Mercenary: Being trained as an efficient Assassin and Mercenary, he is proficient in many different forms of martial arts, and using multiple different weapons with efficiency. He does not get fatigued unlike other mutants and humans, due to his rapid regeneration of cells.
Thanos made his first appearance in February 1973 in Iron Man #55 and was created by Jim Starlin and Mike Friedrich. He is part of a race called the Eternals who lived on the planet Titan. According to the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is 6ft 7in and weighs 985 lbs.
In the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is described as “one the strongest beings in existence”. So as an adversary, there won’t be many who could beat him. Thanos was born with the Deviant gene which gave him purple skin, a furrowed chin and a massive body with an incredible amount of strength and intellect.
Thanos: Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Powers: It has shown that Thanos has the strength of a god and let us also not forget that he has superhuman agility, reflexes and stamina.
- Matter & Energy Manipulation: To the list of powers, we can also add the ability to manipulate matter and energy. He can shoot energy out of his eyes and control matter on an atomic level.
- Magic: Thanos also possesses the power of magic. He is skilled in Black Arts and also has several other mystic capabilities like cursing other heroes or beings.
- Immortality: Because of his immortality, he doesn’t age nor does he die even after getting injured. Thanos is even banned by Death with whom he is obsessed.
Deadpool vs Thanos: Let’s Compare Some Numbers
Marvel has given almost all their heroes a score which they call a power grid (you can find these on Marvel.com). So these numbers don’t come from us but from Marvel themselves.
Ok, for the first criteria Durability, we already disagree with Marvel on the score for Deadpool. Deadpool is immortal! So how could it be that he only got a 4 out of 7 while Thanos got a 6? This doesn’t make any sense. Come on Marvel, what were you thinking?
Now, for Energy that makes complete sense. Deadpool has no superpowers that could be considered as energy. He is good with weapons though but take that away from him and he can only fall back on close combat.
We have all seen that Wade Wilson is a very skilled fighter. He can even dodge bullets with his sword! This is actually the only criteria where Deadpool outranks Thanos. Still, only a 4 out of 7 for Thanos is again a weird score from Marvel...
When it comes to Intelligence, we already had a feeling that Deadpool and Thanos wouldn’t be evenly matched. Thanos has consumed a lot of knowledge during the years while travelling the universe. And Deadpool you ask? He just sits around and doodles a little bit.
The score that Deadpool got from Marvel on Speed is strange if we can call it that. We actually think that this is a typo. Deadpool can’t be faster than Thanos.
For Strength, we definitely think that Thanos has the upper hand, just look at Thanos and then to Deadpool. Keeping in mind that Thanos can keep with the Hulk when it comes to Strength.
Honestly, I was expecting and hoping that Deadpool would have been able to put more up of a fight but the scores from Marvel are quite clear. Deadpool didn’t really stand a chance actually. The only thing, that we should remember is that this fight could last for days, months and years as both beings are immortal. So the only way this fight could end is that one of the characters is captured and locked up.
- Marvel Encyclopedia
- Thanos – Wikipedia
- Deadpool (Wade Wilson) | Characters | Marvel
- Image Credit: Marvel