What would happen if the smartest and wealthiest man in the world with unlimited resources would take on one of the smartest and wealthiest beings in the universe with unlimited resources.
Before the fight, we already had the feeling that Thanos would have an advantage as he has travelled across the whole universe and has his own army at his disposal. But we were going to leave that part out. In this fight, it is just one vs one. They can’t call in any help.
So who will win this fight? The Mad Titan or the Armored Avenger?
Iron Man: Biography
Tony Stark is most of the time described as a businessman and philanthropist. But he only made his debut in March 1963 in Tales of Suspense #39 which is almost 20 years later than Captain America. On Marvel.com, Tony is noted down as 6ft 1in and weighs 225lbs. Interesting is that in his armour, he weighs 425 lbs and stands 6ft 6in tall.
One of the things that people often argue about is if Tony was adopted by Howard Stark. So you can close that discussion now once and for all, he was adopted indeed. But how did Tony become Iron Man? Well, he got kidnapped by terrorists and he used his genius intellect to build an armour to escape. After he got away, he perfectionized his suit and the rest is history.
Iron Man: Powers & Abilities
- Genius: Tony is probably one of the smartest humans on Earth and this brilliant mind comes in handy in any situation. Tony’s passion is engineering and he became a great benefit for Stark Industries. Thanks to his brain and Stark Industries, he became one of the wealthiest people on Earth.
- Armour: Tony has developed the Iron Man Armour also called MARK, as Tony doesn’t possess any superpowers, the suit fills that gap. Just to give a short overview of powers and abilities that the suits has:
- Superhuman Speed, Strength, Durability,…
- Articifial Intelligence
- Beams & Lasers
- Throughout the years, Tony developed more than 50 MARK suits and we have seen that Tony doesn’t even have to be physical present anymore in the suits or he can let them attack all at once at his command
Thanos made his first appearance in February 1973 in Iron Man #55 and was created by Jim Starlin and Mike Friedrich. He is part of a race called the Eternals who lived on the planet Titan. According to the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is 6ft 7in and weighs 985 lbs.
In the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is described as “one the strongest beings in existence”. So as an adversary, there won’t be many who could beat him. Thanos was born with the Deviant gene which gave him purple skin, a furrowed chin and a massive body with an incredible amount of strength and intellect.
Thanos: Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Powers: It has shown that Thanos has the strength of a god and let us also not forget that he has superhuman agility, reflexes and stamina.
- Matter & Energy Manipulation: To the list of powers, we can also add the ability to manipulate matter and energy. He can shoot energy out of his eyes and control matter on an atomic level.
- Magic: Thanos also possesses the power of magic. He is skilled in Black Arts and also has several other mystic capabilities like cursing other heroes or beings.
- Immortality: Because of his immortality, he doesn’t age nor does he die even after getting injured. Thanos is even banned by Death with whom he is obsessed.
What do Iron Man and Thanos have in common?
Both Iron Man and Thanos have been classified as brilliant beings. On Earth, Tony has no equal and Thanos has travelled the whole universe so his knowledge is something that we have to take into account for this fight.
Iron Man vs Thanos: Let’s Compare Some Numbers
Marvel has given almost all their heroes a score which they call a power grid (you can find these on Marvel.com). So these numbers don’t come from us but from Marvel themselves.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
We found it very interesting that for the first 4 criteria, both Marvel characters got the same score. We had a good long internal discussion about this but we decided to follow Marvel on this for Durabilty & Energy. We believe that with all the suits that Tony has, he should be able to withstand Thanos for quite a time. Especially like with the Hulkbuster for example.
So for Durability, both will be able to withstand many attacks so the fight could go for hours probably days.
When it comes to Energy, Thanos and Iron Man are considered equals.
In our other posts where Thanos takes on other heroes and villains, we already called out that we believe that his Fighting Skills score is too low. So we disagree with Marvel here, but for Iron Man, we think a 4 is fair as Tony mainly relies on his suit.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
Also for the criteria: Intelligence, Thanos and Tony are at the same level according to Marvel which we think is correct. We don’t believe that any being could outsmart Tony in any way. It would be very difficult to catch him by surprise.
So they are evenly matched for Durability, Energy, Fighting Skills and Intelligence but for the last 2 criteria Speed and Strength, Thanos is considered as the perfect fighter.
He gets the maximum score of 7 out of 7 for Speed and Strength while Iron Man gets a 5 for Speed and a 6 for Strength. So this is where Thanos would win the fight. We completely agree on the Strenght part as we believe that Thanos is indeed stronger but for Speed only a 5 for Iron Man is in our opinion too low.
It has been a very close fight between Iron Man and Thanos, it was actually closer than we thought it would be as Thanos is marked by Marvel as one of the strongest beings in the Marvel Universe. But unfortunately for Tony, he is considered slower and less strong than the Mad Titan. We also need to keep into account that Thanos is also considered to be immortal so Tony could never kill him unfortunately but only capture which he did actually in the past.
- Marvel Encyclopedia
- Thanos – Wikipedia
- Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) In Comics Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
- Image Credit: Marvel