One is the God of Thunder who is destined to rule over Asgard, the other one wants to wipe out half of the universe. We are going to have a look at what would happen if Thor and Thanos would face off against each other.
In this blog post, we are going to analyze who is the strongest, the smartest, the fastest and much more. You will also find out what they have in common and what would be the decisive factor in winning this battle.
Let’s get ready to rumble!
Thor is a Marvel superhero that first appeared in 1962. He was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, who are also known for creating the Hulk, Iron Man, Black Panther, and many more of your favourite superheroes! In Norse mythology, he’s one of the most powerful gods in their pantheon. But even though his powers come from his hammer, his strength comes from the Belt Of Strength that he wears.
He has a variety of powers like superhuman durability and energy projection. He’s also able to control lightning which is amazing for stopping enemies in their tracks! His intelligence isn’t as high as some other superheroes but it doesn’t need to be because Thor can fly using Mjolnir.
Thor: Powers & Abilities
- Longevity: Thor was born in the era of Vikings and doesn’t seem to be ageing. But they actually do but at a very slow rate.
- Super strength: Thor is insanely strong, even when he’s not using his hammer! He can lift up around 100 tons with ease which allows him to break through barriers really quickly. He also has superhuman durability so it takes a lot for Thor to get hurt.
- Energy projection: When Thor swings his hammer it emits a powerful force that can be used to destroy enemies or structures. It’s also been shown that he can use this power on himself and others which helps him heal more quickly than normal humans would.
- Lightning control: This is one of the most dangerous things about Thor because lightning is a powerful energy that can be used to kill enemies.
- Flight: Thor’s hammer Mjolnir allows him to fly so he doesn’t need a jet or an airplane.
Thanos made his first appearance in February 1973 in Iron Man #55 and was created by Jim Starlin and Mike Friedrich. He is part of a race called the Eternals who lived on the planet Titan. According to the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is 6ft 7in and weighs 985 lbs.
In the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is described as “one the strongest beings in existence”. So as an adversary, there won’t be many who could beat him. Thanos was born with the Deviant gene which gave him purple skin, a furrowed chin and a massive body with an incredible amount of strength and intellect.
Thanos: Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Powers: It has shown that Thanos has the strength of a god and let us also not forget that he has superhuman agility, reflexes and stamina.
- Matter & Energy Manipulation: To the list of powers, we can also add the ability to manipulate matter and energy. He can shoot energy out of his eyes and control matter on an atomic level.
- Magic: Thanos also possesses the power of magic. He is skilled in Black Arts and also has several other mystic capabilities like cursing other heroes or beings.
- Immortality: Because of his immortality, he doesn’t age nor does he die even after getting injured. Thanos is even banned by Death with whom he is obsessed.
What do Thor and Thanos have in common?
Thor and Thanos actually have a lot in common. Both have the strength of a god although you must know that Thanos is in fact not a god. They can also endure an incredible amount of attacks and their energy levels are almost unmatched in this universe.
The biggest difference between both characters is that Thor uses his powers for good while Thanos is a villain who has a plan for the whole universe. If you don’t know that plan, you should definitely see The Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame because we really don’t want to spoil that one.
Thor vs Thanos: Let’s Compare Some Numbers
Marvel has given almost all their heroes a score which they call a power grid (you can find these on Marvel.com). So these numbers don’t come from us but from Marvel themself.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
Both Marvel characters got a 6 out of 7 when it comes to Durability which makes sense in one way but also not. Let us explain. Thor and Thanos are able to endure almost all attacks that opponents can throw them so in that way, they are equal. The big difference between them in terms of durability is that Thanos is actually immortal while Thor is not. This could have quite the impact on this fight. But as we know, Thanos can be captured and locked away as well.
In terms of energy, they are equal and we are not going to argue with that. They both can manipulate energy and fire tremendous blasts towards their enemies.
When it comes to Fighting Skills, both got the same grade again but we actually disagree with Marvel on this one. We think that a 4 is too low. Both are very skilled in the art of armed and unarmed combat so this rating should be at least a 5 or even a 6.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
Now, this is the moment where the difference in the fight is made: Intelligence. Thor only received a 2 which is in our opinion completely correct. Thor is known for being very impulsive and relies more on his strength than thinking things through. This is where Thanos has a major advantage and will win the fight.
When we compare Thanos and Thor, both received a perfect score for Speed and Strength. Both characters can lift more than 100 tons and both can travel through the galaxy at incredible speed or even teleport if they want.
The fight between Thor and Thanos has been a very close one but it will be in favour of the Mad Titan. In this fight, we didn’t even include the Infinity Gauntlet, otherwise, it wouldn’t have been a fair fight. The genius-intellect of Thanos is something that Thor can’t match with any other skill, unfortunately.
- Marvel Encyclopedia
- Thanos – Wikipedia
- Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) In Comics Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
- Image Credit: Marvel