Wolverine is one of my favorite characters from the Marvel Universe. I absolutey adored him as kid. I can’t really explain why that is. Because as a character, he is always in a bad mood and can be quite depressing from time to time. It probably has to do with the retractable claws and his amazing senses.
But what would happen if Wolverine has to take on Thanos in a 1 vs 1 match? The rules are simple, they can’t count that one of their team members like the X-Men for Wolverine would come and save him. They will just have to make it on their own.
Wolverine vs Thanos: Who Would Win In A Fight?
One of the most popular X-Men characters ever created, Wolverine was born with claws made from bone and metal that he can extend and retract from his hands. He’s a fierce fighter with the ability to heal wounds at an accelerated rate, so even if you’re able to hurt him, it won’t slow Wolverine down for long!
Wolverine has superhuman regeneration abilities, animal senses, enhanced physical capabilities thanks to his adamantium skeleton claws as well as his heightened senses. He is also an expert martial artist, and while he doesn’t have the brute strength that The Hulk has (he’s a little more agile), Wolverine can still take on anyone in combat with these abilities!
James Howlett which is Wolverine’s real name made his debut actually in an Incredible Hulk comic. It was in October 1974 in issue #180. Logan is only 5ft 3 and weighs 195 lbs.
Wolverine Power & Abilities
- Superhuman Durability, Speed, Stamina & Reflexes: As Logan is a mutant, he possesses quite some superhuman powers like increased speed, stamina and reflexes.
- Retractable Bone Claws: There’s often a misconception that Wolverine had adamantium claws but this is not correct. He originally had retractable bone claws but they were turned into Adamantium during the Weapon X project.
- Adamantium Skeleton: Wolverine has an adamantium skeleton which makes his body almost indestructable.
- Heightened Senses: Thanks to his mutant powers, Logan is also able to touch, see, hear, taste and smell everything from miles away.
- Regeneration / Immortality: Wolverine has show that he has been able to withstand any attack because of his regenerative healing factor. This is also the reason why he ages at a very slow speed and is older than 100 years.
- Weakness: Wolverine can’t fly or do blast attacks, he is always forced to engage in close combat.
Thanos made his first appearance in February 1973 in Iron Man #55 and was created by Jim Starlin and Mike Friedrich. He is part of a race called the Eternals who lived on the planet Titan. According to the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is 6ft 7in and weighs 985 lbs.
In the Marvel Encyclopedia, he is described as “one the strongest beings in existence”. So as an adversary, there won’t be many who could beat him. Thanos was born with the Deviant gene which gave him purple skin, a furrowed chin and a massive body with an incredible amount of strength and intellect.
Thanos: Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Powers: It has shown that Thanos has the strength of a god and let us also not forget that he has superhuman agility, reflexes and stamina.
- Matter & Energy Manipulation: To the list of powers, we can also add the ability to manipulate matter and energy. He can shoot energy out of his eyes and control matter on an atomic level.
- Magic: Thanos also possesses the power of magic. He is skilled in Black Arts and also has several other mystic capabilities like cursing other heroes or beings.
- Immortality: Because of his immortality, he doesn’t age nor does he die even after getting injured. Thanos is even banned by Death with whom he is obsessed.
Wolverine vs Thanos: Let’s Compare Some Numbers
Marvel has given almost all their heroes a score which they call a power grid (you can find these on Marvel.com). So these numbers don’t come from us but from Marvel themselves.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
Durability: Although Wolverine can always count on his regenerative healing factor, this would not be enough to withstand Thanos. Thanos is considered to be immortal while Wolverine could withstand a lot, he can still drown for example.
If we compare the criteria Energy, we see that Wolverine is completely outmatched against Thanos. Wolverine only recevied a 1 out of 7 from Marvel and this makes sense unfortunately. Wolverine has no Energy to help him out in this fight.
The only criteria where Wolverine would have the upperhand is in Fighting. He is probably one of the best armed and unarmed fighters in the Marvel Universe. Still, we found the 4 out 7 score for Thanos quite low, this should be higher like a 5 or even a 6.
POWER GRID (7 is the maximum per criteria)
Intelligence: Also Thanos is being considered as one of the smartest beings in the universe so Wolverine has no chance in outsmarting him.
When it comes to the last 2 criteria Speed and Strength, Thanos is considered to be the perfect being as he got the perfect score for both. Wolverine only got a 2 for Speed and a 4 for Strength.
In order to defeat Thanos, Wolverine could never win on his own. He would need the X-Men or The Avengers to help him out to defeat the Mad Titan. Our worst fear became reality for this fight. Wolverine just doesn’t stand a chance against the Mad Titan although we wanted him to be.
Conclusion: What we were already expecting, has now been confirmed. Wolverine doesn’t stand a chance against Thanos. The Mad Titan outclasses him on almost every level except for Fighting Skills. This fight could be ever in minutes unless Thanos decides to play around with him.
- Marvel Encyclopedia
- Thanos – Wikipedia
- Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) In Comics Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
- Image Credit: Marvel